It’s an opportunity to do something meaningful. It’s a way to give back to the community. Hamilton Medical Center volunteers are vital to our patient care team and receive deep, personal satisfaction from helping those in need. Since 1955, volunteers have served Hamilton Medical Center in many roles. Their scope of service continues to grow as the need for qualified volunteers increases.
As a volunteer, you can choose the right position for you. Your help has a far-reaching, positive impact on everyone who enters our doors.
Our volunteer opportunities include:
- Bradley Wellness Center
- Emergency Room (18 years of age)
- Gift Shop
- Hamilton Diagnostics
- Peeples Cancer Institute, Starbucks, Radiation
- Hospice – Patient and Office support opportunities available
- Information Desk
- MICU (Medical Intensive Care)
- NICU Cuddler Program (must be 25 years of age – wait list may apply)
- Patient Services Representative
- SICU (Surgical Intensive Care)
Who can volunteer?
Volunteering is not just for retirees. In fact, our volunteers are men and women of all ages – people in their 20’s, 30’s, and beyond, both working and retired. We also have a Summer Teen Volunteer program for students ages 16 and 17 during the summer months. Volunteering is for you if you’re interested in helping others and can set aside a few hours each week.
Our Adult Program is designed for anyone 18 years of age and older, college students, working adults, retirees, just about anyone interested in lending a hand to our staff and patients. Whether it’s greeting visitors, delivering flowers, visiting with patients, assisting with dismissals, or any number of other activities, you can provide a valuable and appreciated service.
Summer Teen Program
SUMMER TEEN PROGRAM IS CLOSED FOR 2023
Be on the lookout for information regarding the 2024 program.
Our Summer Teen Program begins June 1st and runs through the first week in August. Students 16 to 17 years of age who are eager to experience a medical environment are encouraged to apply. Each summer, ten students who meet the initial requirements discussed during the interview process will be selected and commit to serving 8 of the 9 summer weeks, 3 hours per shift for a total of 24 hours at summer’s end. Applications for this program may be submitted by clicking on the volunteer application below and selecting the application for teen volunteers. If you are selected for the Summer Teen Program, attendance at orientation is mandatory. Each year, the orientation date will vary, and teen volunteers will be notified beforehand. The option to continue service after the summer months may be discussed individually.
- As a hospital volunteer, you provide a service appreciated by patients, guests and staff. Hamilton Medical Center offers you a few perks as a “thank you.” Among the benefits:
- Complementary meal with each shift served
- Preferred parking
- Discounted membership to the Bradley Wellness Center (after 3 months of service with 33 hours of service)
- Discounts on non-prescription items in the pharmacy
- Annual flu shots
- In-service training and educational opportunities through Hamilton University
- Invitations to various recognition events and other hospital-sponsored social occasions throughout the year
How much time can you commit?
Three hours of service per week is the minimum requested time, with a commitment of one year and a total of 125 hours per year. Attendance at periodic training and in-service meetings are also required. Requirements vary for adult and teen programs.
Volunteering is not an internship program, a job shadow program, a community service program, or a means to obtain a job with our organization. We view volunteering as a long-term commitment and seek committed individuals who will be Hamilton Volunteer Team Members for many years to come.
How to apply
Complete the ONLINE Volunteer Application or you may stop by the hospital and pick up an application at our information desk located at the main entrance of the hospital (1200 Memorial Drive, Dalton, GA). You may return the application to our information desk located at the main entrance of the hospital or mail to:
Gay Ann Talley – Volunteer Services,
P.O. Box 1168,
Dalton, GA 30722-1168.
Please make sure to complete the application by selecting the days and times you would be available to volunteer (Hospice volunteers do not need to complete the schedule part of the application).
- Additional signed documents will be needed and may be completed during the interview process.
- Teen Volunteers (16-17) will need Parent/Guardian Permission.
Call Volunteer Services at 706.272.6147 for more information.